Praying God's Word for Setting Captives Free Students

• Mentor

Dear brothers and sisters,

We take praying for all students very seriously. The six men on our board of directors meet weekly to pray for our mentors and students, and we pray God's Word for you.

Here is the reason we do this: the gospel, alone, beautiful and powerful as it is, has never changed anyone's heart or life. It has never raised a spiritually dead person, never set one free from bondage, never filled a single heart with love and joy, and never provided a single person with rest from their sins.

The gospel must be accompanied by faith! We have to actually believe the good news, and then, and ONLY then, are we raised from the dead, set free from bondage, filled with love and joy, and given rest from our sins.

If you are a student with Setting Captives Free I am praying this for you today:

Dear Father in heaven, I pray for someone reading these words right now that may be in bondage to sin and in need of your grace and freedom. We know that the promise of entering your rest still stands today, and so I am praying for this one person, asking You oh God to help them not to be found to have fallen short of it.

Lord, he or she is here seeking freedom from sin, and is having the good news proclaimed to them just as the Israelites of old did. But Lord, the message the Israelites heard was of no value to them, because they did not believe and obey it. They did not believe. Maybe they thought they were unworthy, as I did for so many years, or maybe they were hard-hearted and refused to believe. But oh Father, help them now to see Christ crucified and raised, and to put faith in that message as belonging to them, personally.

Because we who have believed enter Your rest. Lord we put faith in the message of the cross, we believe against all odds that Jesus suffered in our place and died our death and rose for our justification. Lord we believe, help our unbelief, in Jesus' name, amen.--Hebrews 4:1-3

• Mentor

@Mike-Cleveland Amen! As soon as I saw this I joined you in prayer on my way home from work this morning!

• Mentor

A student wrote wonderfully from her heart in reply to this prayer:

So good! Yes, "because we who have believed enter Your rest. Lord we put faith in the message of the cross, we believe against all odds that Jesus suffered in our place and died our death and rose for our justification. Lord we believe, help our unbelief, in Jesus' name, Amen." In my heart, I yearn to see my savior, to savor Him in person, to kiss His feet, and sob my overwhelming thankfulness at choosing me to receive his gift of eternal life. Being unworthy, but yet chosen to be one of His sheep overcomes me."

• Mentor

Amen! May we all be overcome by seeing the sight of our Savior suffering in our place to purchase our pardon and make us right with God.