Meditation on James 4:6 (NIV) But he gives us more grace…

• Mentor

Meditation on James 4:6 (NIV) But he gives us more grace…

This statement follows on the heels of James rebuking his readers for their spiritual infidelity, namely their greater friendship with the world and their lust for the things of this world. He rightly writes this rebuke (vs 1-5) with a sense of fiery indignation. Then this astounding follow up – ‘but he gives more grace…’

Let’s ask ourselves - What husband or wife would respond to infidelity with 'more grace?'

Jesus! Only Jesus!

So this is James' confident cry, and his response to seeing evidence of this spiritual adultery – ‘[God] gives us more grace!’

Yes, this is the God you so disdain, you adulterous people (vs 4), your soul lover who even despite your brazen infidelity to him showers you with grace and mercy to bring you back to his bosom.

Come, run to him. There is no whip to be laid across your back for your unfaithfulness, for it was laid on Jesus, who took those stripes out of love for you sinner. He gives you more grace!

Come, embrace him. There is no vengeful husband ready to pierce you in his jealousy, for Jesus took that spear in his own side, the nails in his hands and feet for you and out of love for you sinner! He gives you more grace!

Come, look into his face. No fear of accusation, for he nailed every accusation against you to his own cross! He gives you more grace!

Come, rest in him. No fear of rejection now, for he suffered that ultimate rejection on your behalf, even while you were straying so adulterously. See that cross on Calvary? Yes, he died there for your acceptance forever more! He gives you more grace!

Come, delight in him. No fear of death is needed now for Jesus died in your place. Father, Son and Holy Spirit conspired at the cross to remove all your fear and dread, instead to shower you with loving kisses, and with sweet communion for all eternity. He gives you more grace!

(I have been penning some of these thoughts as I study my Bible in E-sword. It is such a blessing being able to write down my thoughts as I read and study)

• Mentor

@Rob-Robertson said in [Meditation on James 4:6 (NIV), But he gives us more grace…]:

"Father, Son, and Holy Spirit conspired at the cross to remove all your fear and dread."

What an image to consider, seeing the Holy Trinity getting together, are conspiring to send Jesus to the Cross to remove all of my fear and dread. No longer do I need to focus on my sin and failures; they are all nailed to the Cross because of this plan that was set in eternity past for my eternity future. So now in the present, I can gaze upon the Cross and see my hope of freedom because He gives us more grace. I can, because of the grace, live a godly life in this present age because of the resurrection proves the sin has been paid in full.

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, (12) teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, (13) looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ," (Titus 2:11-13 NKJV)

• Mentor

I'm so reminded of Hosea when I think of this grace response to our spiritual infidelity. Wow, even back then God was pointing so deliberately to grace, to the cross.

Int he midst of his calling Israel back to himself he says this - Hos 2:16 NIV "In that day," declares the LORD, "you will call me 'my husband'; you will no longer call me 'my master.'

Yes, despite our infidelities, he is faithful, and gracious beyond words. By his own declaration of Israel's innocence (his own taking on of her shame, paying the price himself) he declares her the bride, he speaks tenderly to her (vs14)