Kept Safe in the Arms of Christ

• Mentor

To all who have been called by God. God the Father loves you, and you have been kept safe in Jesus Christ: Jude 1:1 NCV

Have you considered how securely you are held in the arms of Jesus?

I had cause to think on this the other day when there was a tremendous storm in our area with gale-force winds throwing branches around, the windows were shaking, and the electricity was flickering. A large branch fell on a window and I went outside to shift it before it broke through the glass. As I stepped outside, my foot slipped from underneath me on the wet tiles and I started falling back into the window, unable to save myself. All I can recall was crying out to Jesus in fear to help me from certain harm. It was only by His grace, by an act of His love, that I did not crash to the ground and was steadied back onto my feet.

But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. Psalm 73:2 NIV

Before we knew Christ, we had certain death and torment before us, held cruelly captive by Satan. We were unable to stop sliding and tripping up in our sin, desperately trying to wrench free of its power and be washed clean of the guilt and shame that weighed down our hearts.

Although you wash yourself with soap and use an abundance of cleansing powder, the stain of your guilt is still before me,” declares the Sovereign Lord. Jeremiah 2:22 NIV

But God, in His love, called us and kept us for Jesus Christ from the beginning of time. He laid hold of us by His righteous and steadfast right hand through His dearest Son.

Jesus, a good man on behalf of sinners (1 Peter 3:18), walked into our darkness at Calvary, taking each hidden and fearful sin from our hearts and placed them in His body. Burdened and slipping with the weight of the wooden beam of the cross on His back, He dragged Himself to the top of the hill at Golgotha and surrendered to each nail of crucifixion. Our sins were fastened through His bleeding flesh to the cross, canceling out our guilt, settling forever the debt on our behalf for our unholiness before His Father.

Forgiveness was poured from His heart into ours as we knelt in the sacrifice of His scarlet, atoning blood at the foot of the cross, the epicenter of His magnificent victory over sin, death, and Satan. Jesus fixed His loving gaze on each of us in that blessed moment forevermore!

Do you feel Jesus’ heartbeat of love for you to wrap Himself, as your substitute, in pain and injury and ultimately death so you could be wrapped eternally in the love of God?

Our ultimate security does not lie in our weak and sometimes slipping grip on Christ, but only on His strong grip of us because of the most stunning moment in history when grace and truth broke into this world through Jesus.

We now have "an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you" and we are "protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:4-5 NASB) What awesome security is this!

Yet I am always with you;
    you hold me by my right hand.
    You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will take me into glory.
    Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever. Psalm 73:23-26 NIV