Did you know that SCF has a “Doctrinal Statement?”

• Mentor

Did you know that SCF has a “Doctrinal Statement?”

https://settingcaptivesfree.com/about

Every once in awhile, someone will ask us about what we believe about certain theological positions that are found in a variety of denominations, non-denominations around the world. We had such an inquiry this week and would like to share our response:

• What is your take on [a particular theological position]?

We don't try to make any "point" concerning theological systems. Our ministry is focused on presenting and showing others how to apply the Gospel (Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4) to all of life. We believe that the message of the Cross is not merely for salvation, but for all of life. Paul's ministry was evident, and his message was "Jesus Christ and Him crucified." (1 Corinthians 2:2).

"But we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness," (1 Corinthians 1:23 NKJV)

"O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?" (Galatians 3:1 NKJV)

"But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14 NKJV)

"Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ (9) and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; (10) that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death," (Philippians 3:8-10 NKJV)

Paul used that Gospel message of the death, burial, and resurrection, and utilized this Gospel to "spinoff" and point to other doctrinal and life application. Look at the book of Romans; Paul points to the death, burial, and resurrection throughout. Paul applies the Cross to sin throughout the whole book. Paul shows what was accomplished in dealing with sin and how to now live as believers. In the light of this Gospel of the Cross and the power of the resurrection, we live.

The Lord has called us to focus this ministry on the application of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, to all of life.

Others are called to focus on other aspects of theology like eschatology, ecclesiology, systematic theology, ordo salutis, etc. But we desire to have only one message, Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

One thing I have personally found, the common bond I have with Christians. All Christians from all sorts of denominations, non-denominations, differing theological perspectives have the Gospel, Jesus' death on the Cross for sins, burial, and resurrection in common. All agree that a person needs to believe and put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ and the substitutionary death for their sins. We all believe that Jesus was buried and rose on the third day, according to scriptures. We all believe that Jesus was the God/Man and was the only mediator between God and man.

I recently listened to Ravi Zacharias at the Mormon Tabernacle on YouTube. I like listening to Ravi's answers to questions, and he is a wonderful apologist. I was very curious as to what he would say from the pulpit of "a church" that I feel misrepresents the Gospel and the deity of Christ. Without "attacking," he presented an Old Testament history lesson of two kings. One destroyed the nation of Israel (Manasseh – 2 Kings 21), leading the nation into idolatry and another king (the grandson, Josiah – 2 Kings 22-23) who lead the nation back to the Lord and His word. Then Ravi gave an unambiguous presentation of Jesus crucified, pointing the audience to the Cross, challenging the people to read John 14 and consider the person of Jesus Christ. He did this with grace and humility, pointing to the crucified Jesus.

When I keep my focus on the Cross, I can see how many other "doctrinal" issues that do not lead me to the Cross – is foolishness. I don't have to "argue" and point out errors and heresies. No, I need to keep pointing to the Cross and the One who bled and died for me. Then I remind myself that I have been buried with Him and raised with Him. I am a new creature in Christ, I have been crucified with Jesus and am now so in love, that I only want to focus on the crucified Christ. I am learning that all "good" theology will spinoff from a proper understanding of Jesus' death on the Cross, His burial, and resurrection. If I lose sight of the Cross, I will be wandering in a labyrinth of endless dead-end paths that will only "tickle the ears" and lead to destruction. There is no power in "points of theology." The power of the Gospel, (Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection), points me to Himself and there I find that my heart has been changed by the blood that was shed on the Cross.

I trust this is helpful and that you understand what we hold to dearly as our only hope – Jesus Christ and Him crucified.