Post Here to Reach Setting Captives Free Staff

• Mentor

Hello @SR-Coker,

Thank you for writing in with this question. Please see below...

@SR-Coker said in Post Here to Reach Setting Captives Free Staff:

Hello, I'm really benefiting from all the posts and I just wanted to run something by you all.

So glad you're here and reading through the posts. Many people have had their hearts touched by Jesus and have been loved out of sin and cradled in His arms. This is what He is so good at @SR-Coker, and I'm so eager to hear He is doing that with you too.

Do you think there's ever a time in our lives when it's too late to turn to Christ?

Yes there most certainly is, and that time is when we are dead. "It is appointed unto man to die once and then face the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27).

In the days of Noah there was a day of grace, a day when Noah's preaching should have reached the hearts of the people, his warnings should have been heeded while the door of the ark was open. Once God "shut him in" the day of grace was over.

Right now is your "day of grace" @SR-Coker. "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you" (2 Corinthians 6:2). So we notice that there is a "time of favor" and a "day of salvation."

That time and day is right now my friend. Right now you can ask God to show you the cross where He put Jesus to death to pay for your sin and show that you are now entirely forgiven and completely accepted by God. It's not too late for you, right now.

I feel convicted about my sinful lifestyle but I'm 63. Is it too late for me to accept Jesus as my Savior?

This is the work of the Holy Spirit (see John 16:8), and it is a very good work. He is showing you your sin so that He might show you your Savior. He has lifted Jesus Christ up on a cross, covered Jesus in your sin, hung Him there in open shame, and all so that you would be completely forgiven and entirely released from your debt of sin.

It's a wonderful exercise to look at a Scripture and really think about it. For instance, try looking at this with me:

Acts 13:39 (NIV) Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

@SR-Coker, take each phrase of this to heart just now:

"Through Him..." On your own, you are like me, sinful and deceptive and deserving of hell. But "Through Him", that is, through Jesus you and I are forgiven and free!

"Everyone who believes..." Do you see how you, @SR-Coker, can fit right in the word "everyone"? It doesn't matter the depth or extent of your sin, because Jesus' death on the cross and His gift of forgiveness is for "everyone who believes!"

"...is set free from every sin." Because Jesus hung on the cross and shed His blood you, if you believe, are set free from every sin! Every sin! This means you are freed from all guilt because Jesus took your guilt on Himself. It means you are freed from all condemnation, for Jesus was condemned in your place. It means you are freed from the power of sin for Jesus crucified the power of sin on the cross. It can no longer drag you under and suffocate you and cause you to live like that anymore. You're "free from every sin!"

"...a justification..." To be free from sin means to be justified before God. Jesus was crucified so that you would be justified. He died in your place to remove your burden of debt and requirement to pay. He justified you from all sin, declaring you to be innocent as He was declared guilty.

"...you were not able to obtain under the Law of Moses." Under the Law of Moses people had to try to obtain their own righteousness by their own efforts. Under the gospel Jesus Christ obtained it for us. Jesus' perfect life and substitutional death stands in the place of everyone who believes. You couldn't obtain this under the Law but Jesus obtained it for you under the gospel.

@SR-Coker, did you hear the gospel just now? Do you see Jesus suffering and dying in your place and rising from the dead, all to forgive and justify you before God? Do you see it? If so, will you believe that message right now?

I'm praying for you!

• Global Moderator

Amen 🙏🏽 and Amen 🙏🏽 SR Im praying for you right now too. That the Holy Spirit cause you to see the Gospel with the eyes of faith and believe.

• I come now to Christ as my atonement for my sins and I accept Him as my Lord and Savior. May He erase all my doubts. I believe He is able to save me. Thank You, Jesus, for dying for me and for taking the punishment I deserve. Help me to serve You the rest of my life. In Jesus’ name, amen. Thank you all for your kind feedback.

• I was afraid that I had resisted Christ too long. But I trust that He has come in to my life. I’ve been going to church and reading my Bible all my life but there was never any conviction. All of a sudden I was being convicted and at the same time I was reading that I had resisted Christ too long. But would I want to be saved if God weren’t working?

• @Mike-Cleveland so is there a time while I'm alive that God will shut the door? I'm talking about before we die.

• Mentor

@Mike-Cleveland so is there a time while I'm alive that God will shut the door? I'm talking about before we die.

Greetings @SR-Coker, thank you for considering this further. It's very important to put your faith in the actual words you read in God's Word.

So for example:

Psalms 95:7-8 (NIV-WS) for he is our God
    and we are the people of his pasture,
    the flock under his care.
    Today, if only you would hear his voice,
    8 “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah,
    as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness.

The writer to the Hebrews picks up on this passage and explains it. After he quotes the above passage he says:

Hebrews 3:12-13 (NIV-WS) See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

It is clear from this passage that the writer is focusing on the word "today". So He exhorts us not to turn away from the living God but rather encourage each other daily...."as long as it is called Today".

In other words, eternity is coming where there are no days and nights, and then we are beyond God's grace, the door is shut, the time of God's favor and the "day" of salvation are ended.

So today it is still "today" and God is calling you to believe the good news that Jesus took your punishment that you would be pardoned. Our only role is not to try to discover when the door is shut, but rather to believe "today", right now, this moment.

@SR-Coker it seems that something is troubling you, like maybe you've been taught something different. Can you explain more thoroughly so we can get to the bottom of it?

• Mentor

I come now to Christ as my atonement for my sins and I accept Him as my Lord and Savior. May He erase all my doubts. I believe He is able to save me. Thank You, Jesus, for dying for me and for taking the punishment I deserve. Help me to serve You the rest of my life. In Jesus’ name, amen. Thank you all for your kind feedback.

This brings my heart so much joy, @SR-Coker, to see you putting faith in the crucified/risen Savior, who has loved you and given Himself for you. He has taken your sin away and given you His righteousness:

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV-WS) God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

This was foretold in the Old Testament:

Psalms 103:1-5 (NIV-WS) Praise the Lord, my soul;
    all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
    2 Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
    3 who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
    4 who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
    5 who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

And

Psalms 32:1-2 (NIV-WS) Blessed is the one
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    2 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord does not count against them
    and in whose spirit is no deceit.

I'm rejoicing with you this day sister!

• Mentor

@Mike-Cleveland so is there a time while I'm alive that God will shut the door? I'm talking about before we die.

Are you asking if you can lose your salvation? I saw where you said you put your faith in Christ, receiving forgiveness of sins, which means new life as well. So are you asking if this new life is temporary? So that you can lose what you've received and God then shut the door?

• @Mike-Cleveland thank you. I have been reading some things that teach that our hearts can get too hard to be saved. John Piper has a few scary articles that have made me think it's too late. But if I'm convicted of sin, doesn't that mean that the Holy Spirit is convicting me of sin? This is a very frightening place to be. Thank you so much for your very good response. You've given me a lot to think about. My mentor, Pat Gause, has been wonderful too.

• @Mike-Cleveland no, I don't believe one can lose their salvation. I just wonder if I ever had it. But I was reading on Godlife.com in their Look to Jesus lesson, that if I've trusted Christ for my salvation, then I'm saved. I just haven't felt His presence lately. Thank you for your kindness. This last summer I almost lost my husband to heart problems. I realize I've been depressed. Hence I'm taking the depression course. It's really helpful to write about it here. Thank you for all you do.