Please pray for me.

• Hi folks. My name is Richie and I’m new to the program. I know that finding God’s grace and being changed by it is the key to freedom. I’m just so afraid that I’m the type of person that never get’s it, understands it, or is compelled to repentance and obedience by it. Please pray that the gospel will soften my heart and cause me to be sensitive and receptive to the Spirit of the Lord’s promptings and workings within me. I am a believer, but I am still immature in my faith.

• Mentor

@Richie-Baker I'm praying for you Richie.

• Mentor

@Richie-Baker Richie, I was exactly the kind of believer that you describe here, for many many years. I honestly thought I would never "get it" nor be able to really change.

But what I was missing was the power of the gospel and to understand that God changes me through the gospel, I don't change myself.

Romans 1:16-17 (NCV) I am not ashamed of the Good News, because it is the power God uses to save everyone who believes--to save the Jews first, and then to save non-Jews. 17 The Good News shows how God makes people right with himself--that it begins and ends with faith. As the Scripture says, "But those who are right with God will live by faith."

I believed the above passage for years, thinking that the gospel was for unbelievers to be saved by it, but my problem was I was a believer thinking I had to do the changing myself. Then I read this:

1 Corinthians 1:18 (NCV) The teaching about the cross is foolishness to those who are being lost, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Ah, now I see it, the good news is also for those who are being saved, it is the power of God not just for unbelievers to be saved but also for believers to be changed!

Father in heaven I pray for Richie right now that you would take him to the cross and show him all that you accomplished there, and that looking at the cross sin would lose power over Richie. Please help him to understand the greatness of Christ's love--how wide and long and high and deep it is, and to be changed by gazing at the sacrifice of your Son. In Jesus' name, amen.