Entrance Through the Son

• Mentor

(Open Your Bible NT) Formerly the Colossians were enslaved in the land of darkness. But God rescued them and transplanted them into a kingdom which is flooded with light. The king is God’s dear Son who forgave their sins and confirmed their freedom (1:14). In this way, before coming to any explicit reference to the Colossian error, Paul indicates that Christians have already experienced what the false teachers had argued was available only through a life of rigorous self-denial. Believers do not have to struggle to gain entrance to their inheritance; God has already graciously provided that entrance through his Son.

• Mentor

@Mike-Cleveland. I really appreciated this quote Mike. Thank you! So often we think we have to go looking everywhere for the solution for our struggles. I know I have in the past! This can take the form of applying self-written rules to our lives that promote self-denial. We think it will provide control from falling to sin and eventually lead us out of our prison cells. Maybe using only certain types or quantities of food to escape gluttony, or stripping our lives down by another set of legalistic rules to joyless, fenced up, hemmed-in living to overcome the enticements of the world.

Oh THE answer has been given 2000 years ago at the cross when we first believed! Jesus died and rose, and we died and rose with Him! Sin, guilt and death was dealt with by His substitution for our punishment and forgiveness of our every sin. Now we can taste the sweet air of gospel freedom and savor Christ as we gradually turn to live in the truth of what happened to Jesus and ourselves at Calvary! Let's grab what has been given to us at such high cost with all of our hearts and see Jesus and taste freedom!

"In the past, the law held us like prisoners, but our old selves died, and we were made free from the law. So now we serve God in a new way with the Spirit, and not in the old way with written rules." Romans 7:6 NCV

• Mentor

@Joce-Gordon Amen Joce, this is the key; look at the cross and see what happened there, and let your heart be absolutely crushed by the love of it. Jesus' sacrifice there, His blood poured out and His Spirit breathed out, literally loves us out of our sin. This is how to experience change the gospel way, not the rules and law way.